Re: Flags -g and -O give very different results

At Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:35:03 -0700,
Michael P Friedlander wrote:
> The behavior of a numerical code I'm working on varies
> drastically depending on whether I've compiled it with
> the  -g  or  -O  flags.
>
> The code's behavior under -g is much more stable, and I'm
> wondering if the -O flag is exposing a bug that I need to
> fix.  Are there some gcc flags that I should try that might
> guide me in finding the problem?  (I've already tried the
> obvious  -Wall  which gives no warnings.)

A couple of other generally useful options for numerical
programs: -W, -Wconversion

Also test your code for memory errors with valgrind or
-fmudflap.

Most likely you'll have to look at the code itself and
see where the differences come from.

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,