Re: Installing gcc

tisdagen den 20 juni 2006 11.52 skrev du:
> Gunnar Sjoo wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me how to install gcc? The instructions from gcc.gnu.org
> > are absolutely impossible for me to understand. My operative system is
> > Mandrake Linux 10.1
>
> The instructions on the gcc web page are for building gcc from source.
> The vast majority of users do not need to do this because their
> distribution/OS vendor includes gcc binary packages.  For Mandrake you
> should be able to just type something like "urpmi gcc" and be done with
> it.  There also might be a GUI package selection tool that you could
> use, I don't know.  Regardless, you run whatever it is your distro uses
> to install packages and just select the gcc package.
>
> Note that packages are usually modular by language, so if you want more
> than just the C compiler you may have to also select e.g. "gcc-c++",
> "gcc-java", etc. in addition to the main gcc package.
>
> These steps for installing packages are not listed on the gcc.gnu.org
> website (nor could they be) because the details of how to do this varies
> with each platform/distro, and there are literally hundreds of distros
> out there in the wild.  It would be impossible to cover all of them, and
> besides, the gcc project (and/or the FSF) have no control over these
> packages, they are created by third parties.
>
> Brian

Thank you for your rapid answer. I tried to type "urpmi gcc", but the
computer's reply was "command not found". Regrettably, the rest of your
instructions were too advanced to me, I don't know what a "binary package" is
and how it works, the same goes for "GUI package selection tool".
      Probably "distro" means "distribution", but what my distribution uses to
install packages I don't know and I don't know how to find out.
      From the end of your letter I realize that it will be impossible for me
to install gcc - all that remains is to throw in the towel.

Yours sincerely
Gunnar Sjoo