Re: what cflag/march to use for intel core duo l2400?

George Nychis wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering what march to specify in my cflags for the Intel Core Duo L2400 processor. The gentoo-wiki says that the safe cflag is prescott, but I figured I would ask here to find the optimal for this processor, or if the prescott is truly the safest/optimal.
The wiki might be right, if you are using the same gcc version they have in mind. How are we to know? Might there a conflict between safety and optimality?
Do you disqualify gcc-4.2 on grounds of safety? Surely, it would often generate better code, and avoid the question of what -march option to choose.