Curious segmentation fault...

Dear list,

Namaste (hello). This is my first post. I wonder if I have found a bug or at
least an anomalous behaviour in GCC. Please download the file segfault.tar.gz
from:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0D3E9B791AE99BEA

(available for seven days from now). Do make and test both monthpan and
monthpan-bug with any date range that contains a Sunday (which is where the
bug lies). You should find that monthpan creates an output file called
monthpan.txt whereas monthpan-bug creates a segmentation fault at
grahanaama[0] (grahanaama means "weekday name").

The only difference between the two source files monthpan.c and monthpan-bug.c
is that the latter contains the line:

char spicanaama[] = "Spica";

*before* the start of the declarations of the two-dimensional arrays, which
for some reason seems to cause the zero element of the first two-dimensional
array to be out-of-bounds.

This problem confirmed on gcc-4.1/glibc-2.4 and gcc-3.35/glibc-2.34.

Please can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly causes this bug? Is it a bug
with GCC? If yes, where do I report it?

Thanks.

--

Tux #395953 resides at http://samvit.org
playing with KDE 3.51 on SUSE Linux 10.1