Errors cross-compiling gcc for mipsel-elf

Hi,

I'm trying to cross compile gcc 4.1.0 on Fedora Core 5 for a little
endian mips processor, and I'm getting some errors.

I'm using configure:

.././configure --program-prefix=mipsel-elf-
--prefix=/opt/local/mipsel-elf/ --target=mipsel-elf

binutils previously compiled and installed fine with this.

I get:

WARNING: No native atomic operations are provided for this platform.
WARNING: They cannot be faked when thread support is disabled.
WARNING: Thread-safety of certain classes is not guaranteed.
configure: error: No support for this host/target combination.

Should I configure it a different way?  Right now, I just want to make a
statically linked hello world binary that I can try to run on a
linux-2.4 kernel on a mipsel processor as a test.

Regards,

Richard