Why do we build using "bootstrap"?

Okay, I am so embarrassed I can't tell you. To be writing to this group with such a simpleton question kills me. I swear to dog I've done this a gazillion times too.

I'm attempting to build gcc-4.0.2 for a Solaris 7 system (need to put it in a specific place) and I always remember using the bootstrap flags for configure as well as the make and now I can't remember why! I have searched through everything I can think of and I can't find the "why" of this. It's killing me to have to ask this group for a pointer to this.

The question is:
Where can I find references to the proper sequence of steps for building gcc specifically what is gained by using the bootstrap flag (at configure and at build)?

Thank you all for your time and my apologies for having to waste bandwidth on such a simple thing.