Re: permissions issue with GCC

Paul,

I appreciate the reply.

Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org> wrote:
> Be sure to log all the way out to the login prompt and back in again
> before trying this.  Changing the groups on a user requires this.  Just
> opening a new xterm or starting a new shell isn't enough.

I have done this and am sure it stuck, as previously the command gcc
would not return a
"gcc: no input files" and "strace gcc" offers "access("/usr/bin/gcc",
X_OK)            = 0"

> Without seeing what you actually did to "adjust all the permissions" we
> can't give you more advice than the above.

I made sure that the group was set to "compiler" (a group that
contains root and the user) on all instances of "cc1" and the
directories that they sat within. Additionally, any "permission
denied" error that I received with my strace was tracked to the file
or directory, and then the permissions were adjusted with "chgrp
compiler" and "chmod 750". Curiously, I've tried "chmod 777" and the
files are still giving "permission denied," though root receives no
such error. The owner of the files is set as root.

Cheers,
Christopher