Creating a Direct access file

Hi,

I have a 983 line fortran program written for use on a Silicon Graphics computer. The
program converts food frequency data into amounts of dietary nutrients eaten per day.

The program compiles - apart from 1 line:

open(unit=datlun,access='direct',status='new',recl=185,maxrec=1244)

where datlun = 15. I would like a direct access file in which I can read 1244 food items and their 50 different nutrients.
Another include file points to the line number of the required food in the direct access food table file.

Can you suggest how I can do something similar please.

Thanks,

Patricia