Re: 1. How to checkout gcc 4.1? 2. Outputing dependancy headers in a way that's not make specific

 > I am not sure if this answers your question: gcc/g++ has a whole  bunch
 > of options with -M (like -MM, etc)  The form I use is -MMD.  It  does:
 >
 > target : dep1 dep2 dep3 ...

That's the form I used for my old GNU make build system - then I moved to Python and SCons. But since I'm a Ruby person, I want to use its 'Rake' build system, but that doesn't do automatic dependancy generation (it doesn't do a lot of things unfortunately.)

 > The lines are continued with a backslash but there are alternatives
 > that don't break the lines.

That would be useful - I'll take a look. That 'not breaking the lines' business would actually be quite useful, allowing a nice regexp to be written to parse it. I wonder how GCC outputs filenames that include spaces? Perhaps it uses backslashes (Program\ Files for example).

I can't find any options for not breaking the lines with a backslash. What did you have in mind?