RE: Pb with G++ 3.4.2 MinGW and inline assembly V2

Caveat.  I am still stuck with gcc 2.96.  I dug this out of something I
wrote a few years back.  The main difference from your code is that I
do not explicitly load esi, edi and ecx.  I get gcc's operand loading
to do it.  The virtue is that gcc then can see those instructions and
schedule them.  The key to achieving this is the decimal digit input
operand constraint which says place the input operand in the same
location as the N-th (0-based) output operand.

inline void copy_foo(foo const* lhs, foo const* rhs)
{
    void*    discard_edi;
    void*    discard_esi;
    unsigned discard_ecx;

    __asm__ __volatile__
    (
	"rep\n\t"
	"movsl"

    : "=D" (discard_edi)
    , "=S" (discard_esi)
    , "=c" (discard_ecx)

    :  "0" (lhs)
    ,  "1" (rhs)
    ,  "2" (sizeof(foo)/4)

    : "memory"
    );
 }

You need to include "cc" in the clobber list if you include ANY
instruction that modifies ANY condition code bit.  (I do not
know whether that includes the x87 FP status bits.)  I am not
familiar with "st" as a clobbered object.  Might it be the x87
FPU's stack of 8 floating point temporaries?

I have never worried about the DF.  I have just assumed that it is
reset and that on exit from any asm that I write I must leave it in
that state.

/john