Re: Debugging line information missing ? (seperate build dir)

On 08 Dec 2005 16:53:26 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
> Mike Mattie <codermattie@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > GCC (3.3.6) fails  to generate debugging information when the object
> > file is compiled in a directory seperate from the source tree (using
> > autoconf/automake).
> > The C pre-processor is able to find all the source files, so why is
> > debug symbol generation crippled in this scenario ? If anyone could
> > shed light on what
> > is hanging up the compiler I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> It is extremely unlikely that gcc does anything significantly
> different based on where the source file is.

I have tracked the problem down to a automake issue. my apologies for wasting
your time.

> What are you doing to detect the problem?  For example, is the problem
> that gdb does not display source file lines?  That may be a bug in gcc
> or it may be a bug in gdb.

I was using readelf --dump-debug but it is definitely suprising
automake behavior.

evidently AM_CFLAGS is not included in the linking of the program target but
not the translation units. I think this is a regression as I do not
remember this
behavior from previous use of autotools.

> Ian

thanks for the reply your quick response is greatly appreciated.