Re: missing libc with -m32

Tom or Julie Laub wrote:

We are trying to build wine on an Ubuntu 64-bit system. The configure script fails saying that it cannot generate the executables. On
> inspecting the config.log file we find that when trying to compile an
> c++ or c program with the -m32 flag (ex. gcc -m32 hello.c) the
> compiler cannot find an appropriate libc.a or libc.so file to link
> with. It skips multiple "inappropriate" libc.a and libc.so files
> and then finally give up saying it cannot find -lc.

But are the 32-bit libraries there or not?

Can you give us some guidance on what to do about this problem?

If all the 32-bit libraries (glibc, termcap, ncurses, X11, Gnome,...) are there, just find out why they are not found and used ! If they are not there, what extra packages should be installed, maybe the 32- bit stuff is totally 'optional'...