Re: Compiling with -msoft-float

Hi!

I suggest you to download the crosstool 0.35. With it it is easy to build own crosscompiler with soft-fp support.
It has lot of examples for different target cpu, target gcc and target glibc.
Just extract it and check demo-*.sh scripts...

But I have also a questiong for you? Could you send the test program you are using for me?
I am working with HP iPaq H6340 that has TI's arm925 cpu and I need somehow find out whether this CPU supports
fp or do I need to use soft-fp instead.
I have gcc 4.0 for this CPU without soft-fp support and at least some simple apps which make divisions and multibles with doubles
seems to work just fine. But before being sure I need more comprehensive test apps...

Mika

Athanasios Anastasiou wrote:

Hello All

I am developing a quasi realtime DSP application in C++ that is to be
ported later to an ARM processor. As far as i know this processor does
not have an FPU.
To get an estimate on the performance penalty, i tried to g++ -o MyTest
MyTest.cpp -msoft-float on the development machine (Suse 9.1
proffesional) but i get a load of linker errors reporting that specific
low level math instructions "can not be found"

After a search through the internet and the gcc mailing lists i found
out a lot of fragmeneted information about this subject.

Could you please provide a simple walk through procedure where a "Hello
Soft Floating Point World" is compiled with -msoft-float succesfuly? (If this is possible...Or any other helpful comment on the subject?)

In case i have not looked thoroughly, could you please provide any
links, books, physical places, that compiling with soft floating point
is dealt with in detail?

All the best.
thanOS