Re: What is the purpose of 'warning: no newline at end of file'?

Thanks, that makes things much clearer for me.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jonathan Turkanis <technews@kangaroologic.com>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: What is the purpose of 'warning: no newline at end of file'?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:40:28 -0600

[Sorry Neo, I think I sent you personal email accidentally]

Neo Anderson wrote:

> So, what is the purpose of this warning? What possible 'damages' does this warning protect against?

I believe this language was added to the standard because at the time some systems were not able to handle files properly if they didn't end in a newline. This wording made it possible to provide conforming C++ implementations for those platforms.

I'm not sure if there still are any such systems, but because the standard has given implementations to freedom to do whatever they want (that's what undefined behavior means) if you tell them to process a file not ending in a newline, be warned that if you try to compile your code on another system, the compiler may refuse. I know, for example, that Comeau in strict mode won't compile it. For that matter, neither will gcc with -pedantic-errors.

Jonathan