Re: ./genmodes: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected => whilebuildinggcc3.4.2

This time, I built as recommended with objdir as a parallel dir to srcdir.

I am able to build GCC3.4.2 on the machine it was lst built. In the
Makefile ,the install-sh script needs to have abolute path and then
install works finel.

Concurrently, I built GCC 3.4.2 on current machine and the failed as
before. Got Same genmodes error.

I guess the hardware makes the difference in exe creation.

GCC building OK on
==================

SunOS
TERM is set to "xterm"
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic Patch   December 2002
WELCOME, Have a great time!
$ uname -a
SunOS sunrds4 5.8 Generic_108528-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R
$

GCC build failing on
==================

TERM is set to "xterm"
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic February 2000
WELCOME, Have a great time!
$ uname -a
SunOS sunqas1 5.8 Generic_108528-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
$

Interestingly the binutils I build above work on the machine below.
Vice-verca is not possible!!!
Any clue on how make GCC 3.4.2 built here?
Is 3.4.2 not supporting the 2000 SUN8?

warm regards

Saurabh

Nix <nix@esperi.org.uk>
05/06/2005 06:43 PM

Saurabh.Bhatnagar@blr.hexaware.com
cc
"gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject

On 5 May 2005, nix@esperi.org.uk murmured woefully:
> On 5 May 2005, Saurabh Bhatnagar uttered the following:
>> ./genmodes: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
>> gmake[2]: *** [s-modes] Error 2
>> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/user/sbhatnag/gcc-3.4.2/objdir/gcc'
>> gmake[1]: *** [stage2_build] Error 2
>> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/user/sbhatnag/gcc-3.4.2/objdir/gcc'
>> gmake: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> Please read the installation guide. You cannot build GCC in an
> objdir that is a subdirectory of the GCC source tree: you must
> build it in a parallel directory (e.g. /user/sbhatnag/gcc-build,
> running configure via a relative path, as ../gcc-3.4.2/configure).
>
> This has been true pretty much forever (certainly since gcc-2.7.2).

To be more precise, bootstrapping this way may have worked at some point
in the past: some effort goes into making it work, but keeping it
working is hard, and none of the GCC developers bootstrap that way, so
it often breaks and doesn't get noticed, while bootstrapping from a
parallel directory *is* tested. :)

--
`End users are just test loads for verifying that the system works, kind
of