Error while installing GCC

Hi,

I am trying to install gcc 3.4.3 in the following environment:

HW: PentiumII / 350Mhz / 128Mb RAM
OS: Mandrake Linux 9.2 Download Edition

Everytime I try to run ./configure option, I get the following error:

---------------
../gcc-3.4.3/configure: line 2332: -o: command not found
*** The command ' -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
---------------

I dug up a bit on the manual[1] and I found I needed another compiler to build the sources. After a quick lookup, I found the Intel's C Compiler[2]. I download it and install it. Then, created a soft link from icc (Intel C Compiler) to cc. Finally, exported the CC variable to point to this link.

When I tried to run the ./configure command, I got another error:

---------------
icc: error: could not find directory in which g++ resides
icc: error: could not find directory in which g++ resides
*** The command '/opt/intel_cc_80/bin/cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
---------------

After reading[3], I downloaded the  	 binutils-2.16.90.0.1-1.i386.rpm from[4] and set the variable LC_ALL to "C", run again ./config, but to no avail.

I have read there are another GCC binary distributions for older versions, but I haven't find anything so far.

Any pointers / hints / links to fix this will be pretty much appreciated.

Regards
Gerardo Conelly

-----
[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html