Speeding up compiling and linking

Hello all.

The application I'm working on is of a decent size -
nearly 0.5 million lines of C++ code - and compiling
and linking is simply a *pain*. We build for both
Windows and Linux. On Windows we use Incredibuild
(from Xoreax)/VC++, and on Linux, Teambuilder/gcc.

What are some of the techniques you use to speed up
linking and compilation times? I seem to run into
tricks like using shared libraries, forward
declarations etc., but it'd be great to have a clear
view of the major options available before embarking
on a major code rearranging exercise.

Thanks in advance to those who'll respond!

Best regards,
Vishnu.