Re: breakpoints at bogus locations

GDB was my first suspect (as for other weird problems in the past). The problem is there with 6.0post-0.20040223.20rh, 6.1 and 6.3.

-Allen

Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
Hi Allen,

What version of gdb are you using?

--Eljay

At 02:17 PM 1/31/2005, you wrote:

I'm debugging a large g++ program with gdb, and setting a breakpoint at a particular line results in a breakpoint at some altogether different place.

I've run "readelf -wl" to look at the DWARF-2 correspondence between line numbers and addresses. The address corresponding to the line in question is also associated with lines in other source files. So something looks screwy with g++.

The problem doesn't occur with g++ 3.0 or before, and it does with every version of g++ since 3.0.1. The program includes many files & some large libraries, and I haven't been able to generate a simple demonstration case.

Any suggestions about how to isolate this bug are welcome. So far, I've only been able to determine that it's in the changes made between g++ 3.0 and 3.0.1.

The problem occurs on GNU/Linux on an i686 machine, but not on a Sun workstation running Solaris.

This is a show stopper for months of work, and I'm pretty much at a loss.

-Allen Hopkins