Re: gcc 2.96 -wchar-stdc++ option in 3.2.3?

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 19:18 -0800, Mai-San_Chan@peoplesoft.com wrote:
> What is the -wchar-stdc++ option in gcc 2.96?
First, as I'm sure others will point out, there was no such thing as
GCC 2.96 from the GCC project.  "gcc 2.96" most likely refers to the
compiler released by Red Hat for its Red Hat Linux 7.x series as
well as Advanced Server 2.1.

The version of the C++ runtime included with those compilers did not
initially support wide characters.  Due to customer requests, Red Hat
eventually enabled wide character support in the C++ runtime for
Advanced Server 2.1.

To ensure ABI compatibility with existing deployments wide character
support was not enabled by default -- hence the introduction of the
-wchar-stdc++ option.

>   I cannot find documentation
> for this option in the online gcc manuals.
-wchar-stdc++ was never an option in any version of GCC from the FSF.
It is a Red Hat-ism for Advanced Server 2.1 developers that needed
wide character support in the C++ environment.

>   It is unrecognized by gcc 3.2.3.  What should be used in its place in 3.2.3?
GCC 3.2's C++ runtime should automatically include wide character
support.  ie, there is no need for a special switch to enable/disable
wide character support in modern versions of GCC.

I hope this answers your questions,
Jeff