inserting insns just before final

Hi,

I'm trying to insert some special instructions into insn chain just before final where the asm code is generated. I invoke this pass just before
final is invoked from toplev.c My target is xscale-elf and I have modified arm.md to include the decription of the new instruction.

At this point I'm simply doing a extract_insn on the insn which I pass
from toplev. I assume insn in toplev points to the start of the insn chain for the function. I get the following seg fault in libgcc2.

[snip]
../../gcc-3.4.1/gcc/libgcc2.c: In function `__muldi3':
../../gcc-3.4.1/gcc/libgcc2.c:470: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
[snip]

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
-Arvind

PS: Please point me to some resources regarding insertion of special instructions in gcc, if such a thing exists. Thanks.