Re: [gnu.org #211945] I need your help !

The gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz file is from my sunfreeare.com
site.  I am happy to answer any questions you might have about
those files.   You have already received some good advice.  There
are a number of possible ways to get a valid file you can gunzip
and install.

1.  When you download a file and cannot gunzip the file, look at
    the File Sizes and MD5 Checksums links at the left on the
    sunfreeware.com web site.  Check to make sure that the file
    size of gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz say is correct and if
    you have md5 installed on your system, run
    md5 gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
    to make sure you have a valid file also.  Once, you have a
    valid file gunzip should work fine.  This file has been downloaded
    more than 100,000 times and so I know it works.

2.  If you do not get the correct size, try another download and
    check it again.  If you still get the wrong size or checksum,
    run

    file gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

    and see if it says

gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz:	gzip compressed data - deflate method , original file name

    This proves your file has not been gunzipped by your browser.  If it say
    something else, it is possible the file has been gunzipped but the .gz
    has not been removed.  You might just try

mv gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local

and then run

pkgadd -d gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local

as root to do the installation.

3. If you continue to get an invalid download, you might try to do
a regular anonymous ftp to

ftp.sunfreeware.com

then, set binary mode, and do

cd pub/freeware/sparc/8

Then

get gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

and check the file size.

Note that gcc-3.3.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz is a large file and sometimes
your ftp session will time out before you get the whole file or you
may not have enough space in your download directory.

There are other programs that you might need to install gcc and use
it properly on your system.   I am happy to guide you in making this
happen.

Steve Christensen
sunfreeware.com