Re: GCC for embedded PowerPC systems

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:20:37 -0700 (PDT), Muthukumar Ratty <muthu@iqmail.net> wrote:

1) - Why is the #interrupt directive ignored by the PowerPC version of GCC?

What does it do?

Ooops!
The direcive is of course "#pragma interrupt".
I expected it to instruct the compiler to generate a "return from interrupt" instruction at the end of the routine, instead of a "return from subroutine".
This is what happens for the SH2.
The PowerPC actually has a "rfi" instruction, but the compiler silently ignores the directive; the generated assembly code is the same and there is no "rfi" at the end of the routine.

2) - Is it possible to write an interrupt service routine in pure C
language?

Yes.

Without embedded assembly?

3) - Is there any prologue/epilogue code to be written for interrupt
service routines?

No. Just the regular stuff, no blocking, quick, nested intr handling etc.

You mean that prologue/epilogue are the same for interrupt services routines and normal functions?

Google?

I took the decision to ask the mailing list after about one month of "googling" without finding really satisfying information (maybe there are better keywords than: GCC, GNU, EABI, interrupt, Powerpc, and so on... ;-) ).

Thank you for your help!
--
Mch