From: gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org [mailto:gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org] On
Behalf Of Eljay Love-Jensen
Sent: 17 September 2004 23:30
To: Jeff Beck; gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: gcc for solaris sparc 8

Hi Jeff,

I use GCC 3.3.1 on Solaris 8 / SunOS 5.8 (SPARC).

You get get a pre-compiled GCC here: http://www.sunfreeware.com/

Personally, FOR SOLARIS, I recommend getting the GCC source and building
the compiler from scratch, because the compiler is sensitive to OS
version and patch levels.  If you put another patch level on, more
likely than not it'd behoove you to rebuild the compiler.

It's not TERRIBLY hard to build (if you already have a C compiler), but
it does take an hour-or-four.

HTH,
--Eljay