Re: [patch-error]configure got error

=?gbk?q?=CD=F5=D2=DD?= <cnnjuwy@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying patching GCC and have "successfully" got an modified one.
>
> Tested with some small programs I wrote, it works well.
> But when I use the patched GCC to compile something "large", like emacs,
> apache and so on, I always got the following error message during the
> "configure" stage:
>
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables
>
> I don't know what this means exactly, and how can I get rid of this error.
> Still, I'd like to know some common way of testing the patched GCC.

This question is probably best suited to gcc-help@, not gcc and
certainly not gcc-patches.  (If you were asking for help with the
modifications themselves that would be a different story.)

With the information you've given, I can only offer two pieces of
advice:

1) Have you tried installing an unmodified GCC using the same
   technique, and attempting to compile something large with that?
   Doing so will reveal whether the trouble is with your build
   technique or your modifications.

2) That particular configure error message can mean an awful lot of
   different things.  You will probably find more useful error
   messages in the file 'config.log' in the directory where you tried
   to configure the large program.

zw