problem came up with mmx programming

hi,

i have a problem in gcc in syntax. the problem is
w.r.t the input and output operands we use. some of
the times we use %1 and %2 or %3. somewhat i am not
able to understand what actually these number means.
what they try to say at the operand level. because if
i have put 3 variables at input and i use at input
operand %3 it works somewhat because it gives error
when i give %4 because i suppose i cant give it more
than number of variables i am using. but if i increase
1 or 2 variable at output constraint it removes that
error. so actually what is the relation in this.

even in a manual i have seen using more than one
operand eg. "leal(%1,%1,4),%0"
i could not get what this means

thanks

ankit