RE: noreentrant functions on Linux Advance Server 2.1 using gcc 2.96

Hi Jyotirmoy,

I do not know if that list is comprehensively sufficient for Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1. (I use RHLAS 2.1, but not for a multithreaded application.)

I presume you are including the correct flag for multithreading. That would be "gcc -pthread" for compile and link (which puts in -D_REENTRANT and -lpthread, respectively). Da? Nyet?

And I presume your GCC was built with --enable-threads=posix (which you can see via "gcc -v" for GCC 3.2, but I presume you'll have to infer during compilation if you use RH/GCC 2.96).

In C and C++, multithreading is wishy-washy. It's not part of the language, it's a "bolt-on" that varies by vendor. And not all vendors or platforms support POSIX (or necessarily support POSIX correctly).

For C++, I believe the BOOST folks have a platform-neutral thread API. Assuming you were using C++, it's probably a little late in the game to switch horses to a different thread paradigm (say, BOOST versus POSIX or versus platform-centric).

HTH,
--Eljay