Can't install gcc 3.2 alongside gcc 2.96 on Red Hat 7.3

Hi,

I would like (need) to install gcc 3.2 or greater on Red Hat 7.3 while leaving the default compiler (gcc 2.96) and its libraries in place. I am relatively new to GNU/Linux but I know that other people have managed this before. I have spent the last week or so trying with what I believe to be suitable RPMs and source RPMs that I have found while searching the Web. Unfortunately the RPMs want to install files that conflict with files belonging to gcc 2.96, and the source RPMs I have found won't build. An example error message would be:

RPM build error.
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp 83330

I would be very greatful for any help in solving these problems. I should probably add that what I know about RPM has been learnt in the last week so I may not be using it correctly.

Regards,

Jonathan