TOC overflow problems

Hello

I am compiling some custom code into a LynxOS Startup Monitor built for a Motorola MPC8260 PowerPC platform.  Up until now have had no problem but have recently crossed some kind of threshold w/ the amount of code such that the board will not come up.  Seems to be TOC overflow related but using the "minimal-toc" or "no-sum-in-toc" switches do not seem to help.  In fact, w/out these switches the compilation is ok but with them it aborts with a failure message related to TOC overflow (essentially the exact opposite effect, can't make much sense of what is going on).  >From what I can tell, there is a 64K limit (16-bits), but I'm wondering if this can be increased somehow or if there is some other trick around it.  Has anyone run into this problem or have any clues??  Any info appreciated....Sami