Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'

Hello

> Ok, thanks for checking: on my pII 266,
> compilation is not instantaneous.

Yeah, gcc compile time isn't exactly spectacular :-)

>Reading specs from ./specs
>Configured with:
/usr/local/src/cvs/gcc-3.3.2/>configure
>Thread model: posix
>gcc driver version 3.3.2 executing gcc version
>3.5-tree-ssa

See this is what's weird, and symptomatic of a broken
installation. For some reason, your 3.3.2 driver is
running the 3.5 compiler. I'm guessing the 3.3.x
driver is less forgiving about spec file typos,
hence...

>gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option '<'

If you go to the prefix where you installed 3.3.x, and
do a find on cc1, what do you get? More importantly,
if you run that cc1, what version does it say it is?
Also, what is you $PATH?

>Concerning the ./specs file, removing the >"%<mcpu=*"
is not sufficient,
>a closing brace "}" must also be adjusted.

Right.

>I don't have any idea on how to find where the
>problem is, but I'm willing to do any tests.
>Should I file a bug report?

You can certainly file a bug report, mentioning the
typo in specs, and give the particulars. The other
error your seeing is more likely part of a screwed up
installation (could also be a bug...).

If you want to find what's causing the bug, you can
try to figure out what makefile rule generates
gcc/specs (in your build directory), and so figuree
out where the original typo comes from. I'll also take
a look this afternoon and see what I can come up
with...

Cheers,

Dara

P.S. Please cc: replies, since I'm not subscribed to gcc-help@...