Merged GCC and Binutils build directories for bootstrap?

Folks -

   I've seen lots of references implying that it's possible to have bootstrap
gcc compile its binutils (gas, ld, etc), but I've searched and searched and
all the docs just say it's possible, not *how* to do it!  I've even tried
looking through configure and Makefile.in, much to my confusion.

   So, I'm hoping this is documented somewhere nice so that someone can just
tell me what an idiot I am for not looking in <PUT_URL_HERE>.  Otherwise, if
someone happens the know the secrets, please share them!

					Mario
--
Whoever fights monsters should see  |
to it that in the process he does   |