Re: mingw -> linux cross compiler

Hi Sheryl,

What you are asking should be possible, but you'll want to have a GCC (not a MinGW) compiler hosted on Windows that targets Linux.

What you won't be able to do is write a program that relies on the Windows API, which will compile and run on Linux.

I'm willing to wager that somewhere, someone is attempting to make Unix version of the Windows API, that allows programs written with the Windows API to be compiled and run on Linux.  (This would be a different situation than that provided by WINE, since the app would be specifically compiled for the "Linux'd Win32 API".)  If such an effort is underway, I'm not in-the-know about it.

Anyway, getting back on topic.  What you'll (probably) need is Cygwin (www.cygwin.com), which is a Unix-like environment for Windows.  It's FAR superior to MKS or MS-Interix (aka Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.0).

Now let me guess your next question, "How do I make a GCC compiler for Linux hosted on Cygwin/WinNT?"  Ahem... ummm... I don't know.  Anyone have a useful URL or advice?

--Eljay