Re: why gcj is slower than jvm

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 02:34:50AM -0400, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> Your example is more of a comparison of runtime performance than compiler
> optimization.  From your results one might conclude that the JVM has a
> better MD-5 implementation than libjava, but little else.

The GNU-Crypto hackers have offered their MD5 and SHA-1 implementations.
They are noticably faster. It is on my list of things to merge into GNU
Classpath (which is the upstream library source of libgcj).

You can already use their implemeentation by installing a GCJ-friendly
GNU-Crypto <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-crypto/> and replacing the
security.privider.1 in lib/security/classpath.security with
gnu.crypto.jce.GnuCrypto.

Cheers,

Mark