How can I shrink the size of debug info?

Hi,

I am porting a big library from Win32 to Linux. I'm using gcc-3.2 under
i386-Linux. The source is C++.

The Windows-DLL, generated via VC6, is 4.7 MByte in the release version and 14
MByte in the debug version. (approximately 3 times as large)

Under Linux the so-File is 6.6 MByte in the release version (compiled with -O1
and stripped), but 66 MByte in the debug version using -g and no optimization.
(approximately 10 times as large!)

Which options can I use to reduce the size of the debug version, without
compromising the debugability too much?

Regards,
Joachim