Fw: global vars become const ?!

Hello,

I have a niggling problem which appears to be caused by the compiler.

The problem is that when I declare a global variable, and in the same line,
set it to any given value (usually zero), it becomes a constant - it cannot
be changed at all.

Does anyone know of this problem? I use a prehistoric version of GCC (not my
fault) and my compile options are line is such:

-O -g -b h8300h -mh

Regards,
Edward Byard