limits on number of open ostream's

Hi,

I have a c++ program which opens a number of files simulataneously-
everything goes OK until the number of open files is greater than
(roughly) 1000 - then I can no longer open any new files. The
/proc/sys/fs/file-max is set to a much larger number, so I don't
suspect this is the problem.

Does gcc set limits on the number of open ostream's (something similar
to the MXUNIT for fortran)? If so, how can I change them and is there
any documentation around for these kinds of limits?

regards

aonghus