Re: GCC Version

"Samuel T. Santos" <soujavatambem at uol dot com dot br> writes:
[snip]
> > What does /usr/local/bin/gcc -v show?
>
> the same above when you tell that gcc is 3.2 and -1 is mandrake package
> version and so on...

Are sure? (0) If so, I am confused - or you have 3.2 installed twice, in
    two different places, the second place conflicting with 3.2.2 -
    which is bad.

Note:
(0) Don't test this using

    $cd /usr/local/bin/
    $gcc -v

    because if . isn't the first thing in your path, you'll still be
    testing /usr/bin/gcc . Test with:

    $/usr/local/bin/gcc

    (Note: If you don't know, the initial $ represents your prompt;
    don't type it, type the remainder at your prompt.)

> > Mandrake (and most other linux distros) slices and dices gcc into
> >     several packages. If you just hit the checkbox for gcc (on install),
> >     you don't get g++.
> >

> but when I download 3.2.2 I downloaded all and compile...
> then... gcc 3.2.2 for C its installed in differente place of the
> mandrake version

Yes. Mandrake installs its gcc in /usr (at least they
    always have in the past; I don't have 9.0, just 8.2)

However the source tarball installs into /usr/local by default.

> what is the gcc 3.2?

I'm guessing the gcc 3.2 is the one that came with your linux distro
    (mandrake).

> > I suspect you have gcc 3.2.2 installed under /usr/local, with support
> >     for all languages, etc that are on by default, and gcc 3.2
> >     installed (by your linux distro) in /usr, with only the C
> >     frontend. Further, I guess /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in
> >     your path. So typing 'gcc' results in /usr/bin/gcc, while 'g++'
> >     results in /usr/local/bin/g++, because you have no /usr/bin/g++.
> >
> > [snip]
>
> how I modify for that I hae just one compile, the new version?

(a) Put /usr/local/bin first in your path. If your shell is bash, sh,
    or ksh:

    $export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

    does the trick. You might want it in your .bashrc if you use it
    all the time.

    This causes /usr/local/bin to be searched for commands before
    /usr/bin (or anything else). It's possilbe, but not common, to
    have other name-alike commands which occur in both /usr/bin and
    /usr/local/bin - note that these other commands will also be found
    in /usr/local/bin .

(b) Just type out the full path of the compiler you want -
    /usr/local/bin/gcc, for example. With command line editing, I
    don't find this too onerous; I use it all the time.

[snip]