register allocation, other machine dependent optimizations in gcc

Hi,

I'd like to know hoe register allocation is performed in gcc. It seems as though
it is done in stupid.c, local-alloc.c and global.c. Where are the machine
dependent parts of register allocation? My target is ARM-elf. According to
the "using and porting gcc" document, the target machine dependent files
get symbolic links to tm.c, tm.h etc. I'm assuming, arm.c and arm.h from
config/arm get linked to these files. However I was unable to find tm.c or
tm.h.
How exactly are the machine dependent optimizations (register allocation
among others) carried out in gcc?

Regards,
-Arvind