LIBRARY_PATH when cross-compiling

I noticed in the gcc documentation that settings the LIBRARY_PATH
environmental variable only affects gcc when it is native compiling and not
when it is cross-compiling.  Why is this?  Does anyone know of anything
similar that can be used to specify search paths for libraries when cross
compiling.  Unfortunately I have to use a binary gcc that I've been given
(can't apply a patch and rebuild gcc itself) and I can't use a -L option
either.  Thanks to any replies!

-- Christian Bird