redhat 8.0 install has killed gcc

--- Begin Message ---
Aye everyone
I installed 8.0 a few days back, and have been unable to compile
anythign ever since. Any time i try to compile anything ive written
myself, i get a
/usr/local/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--eh-frame-hdr"
/usr/local/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

error message. This is with default compilation options too, nothing
more than :
gcc hello.c

I havent customized either gcc or ld in any way. i had been using the
default settings with my 7.0 installation, but as soon as i instaled 8.0
everthing died. Ive tried to compile simple examples and code ive
written before that used to compile cleanly with the same results.
I cant compile any packaged software, .Xine's configure, for example,
will tell me that i have a compile incapable of creating executables.
This version of gcc was created with the rpms from the installation, so
i just tried to install the compiler from source, but i was told i
needed to set the CC environment variable to a valid compiler. Ive set
it to both cc and gcc, but neither work, and i just get the same error
message.
ive checked the redhat errata site to no avail, and no one on usenet
seems to have the awnser to this. Has this run into anyone before ? was
there an option i was supposed to include with the installation of the
rpms ?
Thanks a lot
-Cheers