Problem Installing GCC 3.2 in Redhat Linux 7.1

Hi all,

I have gcc 2.96,red hat linux 7.1 pentium III machine

i am trying to install GCC 3.2 as cross compiler for MIPS.
I configured to the target mips-sgi-irix6
while i 'make' i get an error saying that -O0 option is not recognized by
'as'.

i don't understand why this option is given to 'as' at the first place.
and the 'make' fails.

infact i want to compile gcc for mips for experiment and study.
pls some one tell me, the target i have specified is right?!
i chose this because most of the other choices are obsoleted.

pls help me.

Vidya Praveen

Everything you've learned in school as 'obvious' becomes less  and less
obvious as you
begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the
universe. There's not
even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums.There are no
surfaces.
There are no straight lines.
        -R. Buckminster Fuller, engineer, designer, and architect
________