Re: g77/gcc compatibility problem?

Eric Evans wrote:

> I recently downloaded and installed the gcc 3.1 binaries package on our
> Solaris system.  I tried using it to compile/install R, which requires gcc
> and g77.  I assume that g77 is included as a part of the gcc package,
> right?  Unfortunately in the process of doing a 'configure' at the
> beginning of the R installation procedure, I get the following error message:
>
> checking whether g77 and gcc agree on int and double...
> configure: warning: g77 and gcc disagree on int and double
> configure: error: Maybe change CFLAGS or FFLAGS?

Apparently, the autoconfigure script that goes with the `R' software
includes a test to check whether g77 and gcc agree on (the size of) int
and double.

Now as far as we know, they do (and not only for 3.1, but for all
releases).

So the interesting question is: What exactly is this autoconfigure test
testing ?

Could you please ask that the `R' authors and - if they agree with your
finding that there is a problem with gcc/g77-3.1 - have *them* sent
their test program so that we can try to pin down the problem ?

Thanks in advance,