Default library checking

Is there a way to set up the gcc compiler (3.1 now 3.1.1 next week when
it is scheduled to come out) so that it will by default check an extra
library directory such as "/usr/local/my-site/lib".  Additionally, I
would like to be able to have the gcc when compiling in 64 bit mode (on
platforms with both 32 & 64 such as Solaris) check in the 64 bit
subdirectory of specified directories automatically (such as
/usr/local/my-site/lib/sparcv9).

Would there be an error if I had it set to always check in both
/usr/local/my-site/lib and /usr/local/my-site/lib/sparcv9.

In any case, how do I add these directories to the automatic list at
configure or compile time.

Please send an e-mail copy of your reply directly to me as I am unable
to subscribe to the list right now.

--
Said the fox to the fish, "Join me ashore".
The fish are the Jews, Torah is our water.

Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz
sabbahem@bcpl.net, Sabba.Hillel@verizon.net