Problem with g77 Fortran

Hello,
  I have GNU-Fortran installed on my PC LInux system and am having
problems compiling my old Fortran 77 programs on the new system.
Specifically, I get an error when I try to read a data file using a
statements like

open(unit=1,file='datafile.dat', recl=132,status='old')

.
.
      Read(1,10) x,y,z
10    FOrmat(3f10.2)

When I say:  f77 -o prog prog.f , I get a statement.." sfe: formatted io
is not allowed"

How can I modify my program to make IO compatible with the GNU compiler?

ALso, is there a source for understanding the basics of GNU77? For
example, I learned that the "type" statement is not valid, but one must
use "print" instead.

Thanks for your help.

Rob Willson
Dept. Anatomy and Cell Biology