Multithreaded gcc on HP-UX 11?

I wish to build a multi-threaded C++ application on HP-UX 11 using g++.
However, the GCC installation notes [1] say that

"Thread support is not currently implemented for this platform,
so --enable-threads does not work."

I wonder...
1) Is there an existing patch to fix this
2) Are there any older versions of GCC that do work on HP-UX 11?

I have tried using GCC 3.0 on this system (I don't know if it included
special patches - I didn't build it), and my multi-threaded test application
crashes intermittently, apparently within try/catch processing.

Many thanks
Rob Lugt

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux11