RE: Configuring and Compiling GCC for Windows

You can't build a native mingw compiler from source using the mingw
tool-chain itself AFAICT. You need to use the gcc supplied with cygwin
(use the setup.exe, it along with other tools you will need such as
binutils, is in the 'Devel' category). Use these, and remove the mingw
from your path. After you have a working gcc, you can use that to build
a cygwin to mingw cross compiler (cygwin and mingw are two entirely
different systems) which is what you are trying to do now. You can now
use this compiler to build a native win32 executables, much like the gcc
you are trying to use now, apart from the fact that it will understand
cygwin paths and mounts. The compiler used to build the mingw compiler
must understand cygwin paths, so must have been built using cygwin
itself.

I would suggest that you try to use cygwin native tools, but if the
dependency on cygwin1.dll really bothers you, then mingw or DJGPP are
your only options. DJGPP has a 3.x series compiler with it; I don't know
whether mingw has a binary of it yet.

CM

PS: Why do you need 3.x so badly?