Re: gcc install advice

Hi Brian,

 What you are seeing is almost garantied to be a
path issue. If you really want to replace the
RedHat GCC 2.96 system wide, you could change the
symbolic link /usr/bin/gcc and friends to point
to the new compiler.
 You might want to recompile a few things after
replacing the RedHat compiler. Several people have
experienced problems linking C++ code compiled with
RedHat 2.96 and GCC 2.95.3. C code should be ok.
 I am not entirely sure calling this proceedure
a downgrade is entirely correct. It is not difficult
to assign a number to something....;)

Yours sincerely,

bjorn