FW: Cygwin / GCC

-----Original Message-----
From: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 12:51 PM
To: 'Kayvan A. Sylvan'
Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'
Subject: RE: Cygwin / GCC

Thanks.
I have to be careful when I ask about what portions of Cygwin people have
installed.
If you have followed the Cygwin pages, you know that a suprising number of
people
think they don't have to do anything special in setup to install everything.
That
is, of course, not true.  If you open the individual categories you will
find things
that are labeled "skip".  There have even been some packages in the last few
weeks
that after installing, you have to reinstall to get everything working.

I noticed there are a couple of important things you left out.  Number 1, do
you
install Cygwin with a DOS or a Unix option?  Next, what additions, if any,
have
you made to your environment variables, and where did you make them.  It is
this
last portion that I believe is most critical, and I have asked a number of
times
for people who have done it successfully to give this environment / path
data,
and everyone has skipped over that...

One other question is this.  Do you use 3.0.3 daily on regular work?

I admit, somewhat in shame, that I have not used the -k option.  I will
try your recipe, and look foward to finding the other Cygwin environment
information.

Thanks for your time.

Oh yeah, I take it for granted that
(a) You have no additional tools installed or modified above base Cygwin
tools
(b) You don't do anything after make -k install, i.e. move things around,
compile
something additional in.

Wayne Keen