gcc-3.0.4/cygwin/Unskilled Physicist Results

OK, I performed the steps from the prior recipe, on
my Win98 desktop and Win2000 Laptop, both running the
newest (yesterday) Cygwin.  It "seemed" to work.  I got
exe's in /usr/local/bin. An error was reported at the
end of the make about fastjar.

I have not yet renamed the exe's in /usr/local/bin.

I tried a simple experiment, I wrote the obligatory
hello.cpp, and compiled it using the "old" g++, and
/usr/local/bin/g++.  I used cout and iostream, since
in my previous attempts, seeing c++ stuff seemed to be
a problem.

I compiled with

g++ hello.cpp

for the old version and

/usr/local/bin/g++ hello.cpp

for the new one.

I could get the "old" version to compile with

#include<iostream.h>

or
#include<iostream>

The new version would not compile with either, giving
a "no such file or directory" error. I then tried a
compile of a work tool, which has a large number of
files to make.  It goes through the compile part of the make
OK, but when it goes to link, it throws a lot of errors
related to flavors of "new" and "delete". The make uses
gcc by the way, though in the past I have tried g++
as well.

This is the same result I have gotten in the past.

This all may be consistent with some kind of environment
or path problem, though I have added /usr/local/bin,
/usr/local/lib, /usr/local/gcc-lib into the path in my
/etc/profile.

I suspect the answer will be a head slapper of that nature,
"but Wayne, didn't you know you have to..."  If it is
you don't have to be gentle, just use small words in explaining
what I need to do.  :-)

Thanks,
Wayne Keen