gcc internal representation

Hello, this is the first time I am writing to this list. Greetings to
every body.

I am currently working in parallelizing compilers,  in particular, I am
developing a technique
for the detection of parallelism in imperative codes. I have built a
prototype of my technique
for Fortran codes using the infrastructure provided by a research
parallelizing compiler
called Polaris. I have some preeliminary results that show the
effectiveness of my
technique in practice.

I would like to test my technique with C codes, too.
I am considering the possibility of porting my prototype to work on the
infraestructure
provided by the gcc compiler. My prototype is based on the Gated
Single-Assignment (GSA)
program form, which is an extension of Static Single-Assignment (SSA)
that captures
data-flow information for scalar and array references.

My questions are:
¿Does a translator of gcc internal representation into GSA form (or SSA
form) exist?
¿What internal representation should I use? I have extracted this
paragaphs from gcc 2.95 manual:

       "GNU CC was designed to use RTL internally only. Correct RTL for
a given program is very
        dependent on the particular target machine. And the RTL does not

        contain all the information about the program.

        The proper way to interface GNU CC to a new language front end
is with the "tree" data
        structure. There is no manual for this data structure, but it is
described
        in the files `tree.h' and `tree.def'. "

I come to the conclusion that I must use the "tree" data structure. ¿Is
it correct?
¿Where can I find some guidelines about using the "tree" data structure?

I am very interested in this project as I would like to make a "free"
implementation of my technique
within the gcc compiler framework.

Thank you very much in advance.

           Manuel Arenaz

|          Manuel Arenaz Silva - Computer Architecture Group |
| Dept. Electronica e Sistemas - Facultade de Informatica    |
|         Campus de Elvina s/n - Universidade da Coruna      |
|              15071, A Coruna - SPAIN                       |
| Phone:+34 981167000 Ext:1211 - Fax: +34 981 167160         |
|        E-mail: arenaz@udc.es -                             |