Re: gnu ld problems with Intel Fortran Compiler

"sreenath.ramaswamy" wrote:

> > > We are
> > > facing the following problem during the linking stage:-
> > >
> > > ld: ../gamess.00.x: short data segment overflowed (0x81a110 >= 0x400000)
> >
> > You're better off asking this question to the company that sold / gave
> > you the Linux/ia64 distribution.  They know how they build the stuff and
> > which versions for gcc and binutils (of which ld is part) they used.

>         This package is right now not officially expected to run on IA64.
> We are trying to do it. The original compiler they had used is g77 but
> since g77 2.96 seemed to be buggy due to which the program wasn't working
> properly with double precision data, we decided to try out efc(Intel
> Fortran Comiler), eventhough there is the choice of g77 3.0.3
> latest release. That is when the problem came. So the package distributors
> won't be able to help us.... The version of binutils used is 2.10.91.

Ah, OK.  But still, the error above is a problem that `ld' detects, so
it is a good idea to ask on the binutils mailing list first.  They might
want you to produce the assembler code that caused `ld' to issue this
message.

If the people on that list are certain that the problem is due to gcc,
we are going to look into it.